ABOUT THE FRIENDS
Kathleen Daniels ’73, former director of The Catherine G. Murphy Gallery, began The Friends of the Gallery in 1993. The group was established to provide financial support to students in the studio art and art history programs, supplement costs related to gallery programming and provide additional funding for preservation of the University’s Fine Art Collection. Since its inception, The Friends of the Gallery have supported:
- Yearly Friends of the Gallery Awards that financially recognize students majoring in studio art and art history for exceptional work in their disciplines.
- Honorariums for guest speakers, including visiting artists who traveled from Great Britain for the U.S. premiere of Iron Maidens, a 2011 exhibition at the gallery.
- Professional development for studio art majors, which prepares them to write grants, apply to graduate school and seek employment.
- Production costs for various printed materials such as the University's brochure promoting the “Women and the Arts Minor,” a new course of study developed to expand opportunities in the arts for St. Catherine University students. The Friends also provided financial support for a booklet created for the 2017 show, Vision + Vocation: St. Catherine Alumnae Invitational Exhibition.
- Funds dedicated to the University’s Fine Art Collection, such as the restoration and framing of a large, abstract painting by Minnesota artist Cameron Booth; framing of contemporary prints by WARM artists Susan Fiene Brown and Mary Griep; and the restoration of the terra cotta sculpture, L’Orage, by the early 20th century Czech artist, Alphonse Mucha. Thanks to the generosity of the Friends, artwork in the collection has also been framed for exhibitions at The Catherine G. Murphy Gallery. Examples include nine rare works that were featured in the 2013 show, In the Light of Day, and over 20 prints exhibited in "Look at this, and look again, and see anew," a 2015 show paying homage to the art instruction and aesthetic of famed printmaker Sister Corita Kent.
Join the Friends
The suggested donation for membership in The Friends of the Gallery is $25.00, but any amount makes you a Friend. To become a member, click JOIN & SUPPORT below or call Nicole Watson, Director of The Catherine G. Murphy Gallery: 651-690-6637.
Join & Support
Become a Friend of the Gallery
By becoming a member of The Friends of the Gallery, you will ensure the continued excellence of the exhibitions and programming at The Catherine G. Murphy Gallery while enhancing educational opportunities for St. Kate’s students. Your patronage also provides you with a community of people who share your commitment to and interest in the arts at St. Catherine University and beyond.
- Invitations to opening receptions, lectures and special events at The Catherine G. Murphy Gallery.
- Access to affordable tours and day-trips to local and regional museums, galleries and artist studios.
- Regional, national and international travel opportunities to experience art beyond the Twin Cities.
How to Join
The suggested donation for membership in The Friends of the Gallery is $25, but any amount makes you a Friend. To become a member, make your tax-deductible donation online today or by mail/in-person.
To Give Online
Click the DONATE NOW button below and follow these instructions for completing the online donation form.
- Select or enter donation amount
- Under "Gift Designation" open the drop-down menu and select "Other fund"
- In the box to the right, type in "Friends of the CGM Gallery"
- Fill in the remaining required information and click "Donate Now" at the bottom of the form
To Give by Mail or In-Person
If you prefer to make your donation by mail or in-person, please contact Nicole M. Watson, Director of the Catherine G. Murphy Gallery to make arrangements.
651-690-6637 | email@example.com
Once your gallery donation is received and we are made aware of it, your contact information will be added to our member list and you will begin to receive Friends of the Gallery email communications about upcoming events and activities.
We look forward to seeing you at the gallery!